FEBRUARY HOLIDAYS – Celebrated with Food – VALENTINE’S DAY TREATS
Valentine’s Day is known as a Day for Lovers, a Day for Romance and special evenings. Children also look forward to Valentine’s Day and usually exchange Valentine’s in their classrooms. Mother’s often bring treats to their children’s classrooms or offer some at home to their children and their friends.
Party or luncheon treats can be Heart-shaped Sandwiches which are fairly simple to do. Just follow the simple directions below. For Valentine’s Day it is possible to have your local bakery bake you bread that is tinted pink*. Perfect for this event. Making Heart-shaped Sandwiches can also be an activity in which children can participate.
Thinly sliced Sandwich Bread: White, Wheat or White Tinted Pastel Colors*
2-3 Filings of your choice.
FINGER SANDWICH FILLINGS
CREAMY FILLINGS: MEAT FILLINGS:
1 lb. Soft Cream Cheese 1 cup minced Ham
4-6 Tbsps. minced Herbs 1 Tbsp. Pickle Relish
1 tsp. Onion Salt 1 rib finely diced Celery
1 tsp. prepared Horseradish 3 Tbsps. Mayonnaise
½ tsp. dried Mustard
2 Tbsps. chopped Spicy Olives (optional)
1 lb. Soft Cream Cheese 1 cup diced Chicken
6 Tbsps. minced Sun Dried Tomatoes 1 Tbsp. diced Pimiento
1 Tbsp. minced Chives 3 Tbsps. Mayonnaise
1 tsp. Onion Salt
1/2 cup soft unsalted Butter 6 oz. Tuna
1 1/2 cups Sugar 1 chopped hard-cooked Egg
4 Tbsps. Cinnamon 2 chopped Sweet Gherkins
4 Tbsps. Mayonnaise
½ cup Creamy Peanut Butter
2 Tbsps. Honey
- Use Heart-shaped cookie cutters to cut out Heart Shapes from either of the thinly sliced Sandwich Breads above.
- Use a sandwich spreader to spread any of the Fillings on one side of each the Heart-shaped Bread Pieces.
- Top with a Cucumber or Lemon Slice/ Twist or a sprig of Herbs.
- Place on serving platters; Garnish and serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.
Cut out Sugar Cookies are also another Valentine Treat that are fun to make and fun to receive and even more fun to eat. Get your children in the kitchen and let them have fun and learn something at the same time.
Valentine’s Day Cookies:
- Try one of the Sugar Cookie recipes in the Baking Section of this blog. Roll the Dough out and cut out with heart-shaped cookie cutters.
- Paint the cookies with thinned-out white or pink Royal Frosting; http://www.sylveeeskitchen.com/recipes/baked-goods/cakes-frostings/royal-frosting-for-cookie-painting/ let the frosting dry then using thicker Royal Frosting and a pastry bag fitted with a #3 writing tip, write your chlidren’s names, your children’s friends names or cute little Valentine Expressions on them.
- Wrap the Cookies up in clear plastic bags and pass out to friends or just put them on a pretty plate and serve them at home to your family and friends.