International Baking Camp Brownies
For those who attended our Preteen/Teen International Baking Camp on Thursday, July 26, 2012, the Brownie Recipe that was supposed to be in the packet and the Brownie Recipe that we actually used are printed below.
½ cup shelled Brazil Nuts
2 Tbsps. Sugar
3/8 (1/4 cup + 2 Tbsps.) cup unsalted Butter
3/4 cup Sugar
½ cup Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
½ cup Cocoa
1 Tbsp. Milk
- Place the Nuts along with the 2 Tbsps. Sugar in a food processor and PULSE just until the Nuts are roughly chopped; set aside.
- Cream the Butter with the remaining Sugar and Eggs. Be sure to mix until all the ingredients are well-blended.
- Combine the Flour with the Baking Powder andCocoa; add to the Butter mixture and mix well.
- Stir in the Milk and the chopped Nuts.
- Grease an 8” square baking pan; spoon the Batter into to the prepared pan.
- Bake in an oven which has been preheated to 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cut into 16 pieces and serve. Wrap any leftover pieces in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container.
Yield: 16 – 2” squares
Here is the recipe that we actually used.
INTERNATIONAL. CAMP BROWNIES
1 cup unsalted Butter 1 Tbsp. Vanilla
6 oz. unsweetened Chocolate, broken up 1 ½ cups Flour
1 cup Brown Sugar ½ tsp. Baking Soda
1 cup Granulated Sugar ½ tsp. Salt
4 Eggs Vegetable Spray
- Spray a 9 x 12” baking pan and turn the oven to 350 degree. Be sure that the baking rack is in the middle of the oven.
- Place the Butter and Chocolate in a microwave proof mixing bowl.
- Place in the microwave for 90 seconds; remove and stir until the Chocolate and Butter are completely melted.
- Stir in the Sugars; add the Eggs and Vanilla and beat lightly, just until the Eggs are blended, then stir in the Flour, Baking Soda & Salt.
- Pour the Batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes; to test the Brownies, insert a toothpick 1” from the sides. If it comes out dry, the Brownies are done.
- Cut into bars.