CHICKEN SATAY with PEANUT BUTTER SAUCE
Satay, an appetizer may be made from Chicken, Shrimp or Pork. It is most always served with a Peanut Sauce. (Saus Kacang)
SATAY: PEANUT SAUCE:
12 oz. Boneless Chicken Tenders
1 small Onion 3/8 cup Peanut Butter
1” Ginger Root ½ tsp. Chinese Chili Sauce
2 cloves Garlic ¼ cup fresh Lime Juice
1 Lime 1 Tbsp. Rice Vinegar
1 tsp. Chinese Chili Sauce 2 Tbsps. Honey or Brown Sugar
2 Tbsps. Soy Sauce 1 tsp. Peanut Oil
1 Tbsp. Peanut or Vegetable Oil
- Soak about half a dozen long bamboo skewers or a dozen short bamboo skewers in cold water for one hour.
- If the Chicken tenders are thicker than 1/4”, pound gently to flatten. (instructions on next page)
- Peel the Onion, Ginger Root and Garlic. Wash and dry the Lime; zest the peel, then cut the Lime in half and juice it.
- Cut the Onion and Ginger Root into several pieces then place all of the Satay ingredients, except the Chicken, into a blender jar or food processor workbowl.
- Run until all of the ingredients are well chopped and blended together to form a marinade.
- One to one and a half hours before serving, thread the Chicken onto the skewers. Thread the Chicken on in a fan fold fashion.
- Place the threaded skewers in a long shallow glass dish; pour the Marinade on the meat, being sure to cover all the surfaces.
- Place in refrigerator and allow to marinate for at least half hour but no longer than one hour.
- While the Meat is marinating, prepare the Peanut Sauce:
- a. Put the Peanut Butter into a small bowl. Whisk in the Chili Sauce, Lime Juice
- b. Continue whisking until smooth.Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- c. Set aside to serve with the Satay.
10. Grill or broil the Chicken Skewers for 2 minutes on each side. Serve with the Satay Sauce on the
Note: To flatten the Chicken Tenders, place between 2 sheets of waxed paper and gently pound with a metal meat tenderizer or a rolling pin or pestle. Be careful not to puncture the pieces.