SURPRISE FILLED MEATBALL APPETIZERS
3/4 cup frozen, chopped Spinach
1 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp. Sesame Oil
1/2 tsp. Sugar
1 lb. lean ground Beef
1 Tbsp. minced Green Onion*
1 Tbsp. Dark Soy Sauce
1 tsp. Sugar
1 tsp. Salt
1/8 tsp. Black Pepper
1 tsp. Sesame Oil
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 Tbsp. Flour
Oil for frying
- Thaw and drain the Spinach; squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Mix the Spinach together with the Soy Sauce, Sugar and Sesame Oil; set aside.
- Mix the Meat together with the minced Onion* (white portion only), Soy Sauce, Sugar, Salt, Pepper and Sesame Oil; blend well.
- Beat the Egg and thoroughly mix into the Meat Mixture.
- Add the Cornstarch and Flour and mix very well.
- Place the Meat Mixture on a tray.
- Divide the Meat into 16 equal portions by cutting it into fourths and then dividing each fourth into fourths again.
- Divide the Spinach into 16 equal portions also in the same way.
FILLING, ROLLING AND COOKING THE MEATBALLS:
- Half fill a small bowl, with cool water and keep it at your work area.
- Flatten each portion of meat into a thin round, slightly larger than a half dollar.
- Place a Meat round in the palm of your hand and place a Spinach portion in the middle; bring the sides of the Meat up around the Spinach.
- When you can no longer see the Spinach lightly roll the Meat into a ball.
- Repeat with each remaining Meat Round.
- Heat the Oil until very hot; fry the Meatballs a few at a time.
- Use a bamboo strainer to keep the Meatballs moving while they are cooking; drain on paper towels.
Yield: 16 Meatballs = 8 Appetizer Portions or 4 Main Dish Portions