2 lbs. Granny Smith or Pippin Apples Pastry for Double Crust Pie
1 tsp. Lemon Juice
½ – ¾ cup Brown Sugar
2 Tbsps. Cornstarch
½ tsp. Cinnamon
- Peel and core the Apples; cut in half then slice into ¼” slices.
- Place in a large mixing bowl; sprinkle with the Lemon Juice, then gently combine with the Sugar, Cornstarch and Cinnamon.
- Roll out half the Pastry and line a 9” pie pan, allowing the dough to hang over the sides.
- Fill the pastry with the Apples, and then roll out the other half of the dough.
- Fit over the top, trim and crimp the edges; slash the top crust to allow for steam venting.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes on bottom oven rack; lower oven to 375 degrees and move pie to middle of oven. Bake another 15 minutes.
- Brush top crust with beaten egg; sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired, then bake for another 15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Serve warm or cold.
Yield – 1 – 9 inch pie (4-6 servings)