1 ½ cups All-Purpose Flour
1 ½ cups Cake or Pastry Flour
2 Tbsp. Baking Powder
½ tsp. Baking Soda
¼ tsp. Salt
2 Tbsps. Brown Sugar
2 Tbsps. Tomato Powder
½ cup unsalted Butter, softened
¼ cup Sun-dried Tomatoes, diced
2/3 cup Candied Lemon Peel or 2 Tbsps. Lemon Zest
2 tsps. Fresh Basil, minced
1 cup Sour Milk*
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees; grease 2 baking sheets or line with parchment paper or silpat.
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut the Butter up into small pieces and cut or rub into the dry ingredients.
- Add the diced Sun-dried Tomatoes, the Lemon Peel or Zest and the minced Basil to the Flour mixture.
- Add the Milk and mix gently with a fork until all the ingredients are well-combined.
- Divide in half and form each half into a circle, one on each baking sheet.
- Cut the circles into eight portions but do not separate.
- Bake for 20 minutes; remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
- Re-cut the scones, separate and return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 16 Scones
*To make Sour Milk, squeeze half a lemon into a 1 cup measure; add milk to equal one cup; mix and let stand for 5 – 10 minutes until the milk curdles. Buttermilk may be used in place of sour milk.