BAKED ‘ALASKA’ ICE CREAM CAKE
1 Angel Food Cake, baked in a tube pan
1 1/2 Qts. Ice Cream (Your favorite flavor or flavors)
6 Egg Whites (at room temperature) ]
¼ cup Granulated Sugar }
¼ tsp. Cream of Tartar } Meringue
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract ]
1 round 14” Cake Board covered with Aluminum Foil (a pizza pan will do)
Electric Mixer, food processor or large round bottomed mixing bowl and wire whisk
- Cut a trough all around the cake, about 1/3 down; save the pieces.
- Place the cake on the covered board or pizza pan.
- Line the bottom of the hole created by the tube pan with cake pieces.
- Place small scoops of ice cream into trough you cut out and the hole created by the tube. Fill only to within 1/2” of the top.
- Place the pieces of cut out cake on top to cover the ice cream.
- Place in the Freezer until ready to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
To Make the Meringue:
- Whip the Egg Whites in an electric mixer with the wire attachment at high speed until they are very frothy; add the Cream of Tartar. Continue beating;
- Slowly add the Sugar and Vanilla; continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Remove the Cake from the freezer and spread the Meringue, being careful not to form peaks.
- Bake in the oven for about 5 minutes or until the Meringue is lightly browned.
- Serve immediately.
YIELD: 10-12 Servings