ANGEL FOOD CAKE
1 cup Egg Whites
1 tsp. Cream of Tartar
¼ tsp. Salt
¾ cup Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla*
¾ cup Sugar
1 cup Cake Flour
- Sift together ¾ cup Sugar and the Flour.
- Whip Egg Whites until foamy; add the Cream of Tartar, Salt and Vanilla and continue whipping.
- Slowly add ¾ cup Sugar and whip to soft peak. (Don’t overbeat)
- Remove from mixer and gently fold in the Flour and Sugar mixture.
- Turn into ungreased tube pan.
- Bake in lower third of oven preheated to 375 degrees for about 45 minutes or until the top appears dry and starts to crack.
- Invert pan and allow the cake to cool completely before removing from the pan.
* Lemon Extract may be substituted for the Vanilla.
One-fourth teaspoon of Almond Extract may be added along with the Vanilla.
Note: For a Chocolate Angel Food omit ¼ cup Flour and add 1 ounce of Cocoa. Sift theCocoa with the Flour.
The Cake pictured was made with Lemon Extract and topped with a Glaze of 1 cup Powdered Sugar, Juice of 1/2 a lemon, 1 Tbsp. melted Butter – all mixed together to form a smooth glaze.
Angel Food Cake may be sliced and filled with Whipped Cream and Strawberries or other fresh Berries.
YIELD: 1 Ten-Inch Cake