CHOCOLATE CAKE ROLL
½ cup Cake Flour
¼ cup unsweetenedCocoa
½ cup + 3 Tbsps. Granulated Sugar
4 Egg Yolks
4 whole Eggs
4 Tbsps. unsalted Butter, melted
2 cups Whipping Cream
¼ cup Powdered Sugar
1 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract
Candied Cherries & Mint Leaves, washed and dried (Garnish)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees; cut parchment paper to fit the bottom of a jelly roll pan.
- Spray the bottom and sides of the pan; place the parchment in the pan, then lightly spray and flour the paper.
- Sift the Flour,Cocoaand 3 Tablespoons of Sugar together twice.
- Combine the Eggs, Yolks and remaining Sugar in the top of a double boiler or stainless steel bowl.
- Warm over simmering water, whisking continuously until the Eggs reach 110 degrees.
- Place in electric mixer bowl, and whip at high speed until double in volume and a ribbon forms, 5 – 7 minutes
- Remove from mixer; sift the Flour Mixture over the Batter and gently fold it in, using a wide rubber spatula, scraping bottom, sides and lifting through the middle.
- Gently stir in the melted Butter and Vanilla, folding until completely blended.
- Pour into the prepared pan, spreading the top evenly.
- Bake until the top is domed, golden brown and top center is set when it springs back when touched lightly with two fingers, about 20- 25 minutes for jelly roll pan.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes; loosen the sides with a spatula.
- Dust a clean dish towel with Powdered Sugar; invert the pan over the dish towel.
- Remove, the pan, and then gently peel off the paper. Gently roll up the dish towel, with the cake. Roll as tightly as you can. Allow to stay rolled up for at least half an hour.
- While the Cake is cooling, prepare the filling:
a. Whip the Cream in an electric mixer or food processor until soft peaks form.
b. Add the Powdered Sugar and Vanilla and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
15. Unroll the Cake and spread with the Filling; roll back up and place on a serving plate with the seam side down.
16. Dust with Powdered Sugar before serving; if desired, garnish with candied cherries and mint leaves.
17. The roll may be refrigerated for several hours before serving.
18. Be sure to refrigerate any leftovers.
YIELD: 8 Servings