1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour 1/2 cup soft unsalted Butter
1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
2 tsps. Baking Powder 4 Tbsps. freshly grated Ginger Root
2 tsps. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. freshly grated Nutmeg 1 cup Molasses
1/2 tsp. ground Cloves 1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. dry Mustard 1 1/2 cups Boiling Water
1/8 tsp. Cayenne Pepper 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/8 tsp. Black Pepper 4 Eggs
1/2 tsp. Salt
- Preheat oven to 350o F.; spray and sugar a 9 x 13” baking pan.
- Mix together the Flours, Baking Powder, Spices and Salt.
- Cream the Butter and Sugar together and add the Ginger.
- Beat the Molasses and the teaspoon Baking Soda together until the color lightens and bubbles form.
- Combine the Boiling Water and the 1/2-tsp. Baking Soda.
- Add the creamed Butter mixture to the Molasses and beat well.
- Add the flour mixture alternately with the Boiling Water and Soda, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Beat the Eggs well land fold into the Batter; pour into the prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool until slightly warm; serve with Vanilla Ice Cream.