LEMON POUND CAKE
14 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks) butter
3-ounce package cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 lemon, grated zest and juice
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pans or one tube or bundt-style pan.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat together the Butter and Cream Cheese until soft and fluffy. Add the Salt, Sugar, Flour and Baking Powder, and beat for 5 minutes; the batter will be stiff.
- Add the Vanilla and Lemon Zest and Juice, and 1 Egg. Beat well. Continue to add the Eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl after each addition. When done, the batter will be very fluffy. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan(s).
- Bake the cake for 55 to 60 minutes (for the tube or Bundt-style pans) or 35 to 40 minutes (for the two loaf pans), or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.GLAZE:
- Just before the cake is done, combine the Lemon Juice and Sugar and heat over low heat (or in the microwave) until the Sugar is dissolved; don’t let the mixture boil!
- Remove the cake from the oven; allow it to cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Turn it out onto a wire rack or serving platter. Poke the top all over with a cake tester or toothpick, and gradually drizzle the Glaze over it, pausing occasionally to let it sink in. Allow the cake to cool for several hours before slicing.
Yield: about 16 servings.