PEACH UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
1/4 cup Butter 1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 cup Brown Sugar 1/8 tsp. Salt
6 fresh Peaches 3 Eggs, separated
Chopped Pecans (optional) 1whole Egg 1 cup Granulated Sugar
1 cup sifted Flour
1/2 cup Sour Cream
- Remove the skin from the Peaches and then cut in half; carefully remove the pits.
- Slice each half into four lengthwise pieces.
- Melt the Butter in a 9 x 9” cake pan; spread the Brown Sugar evenly in the pan. If desired, sprinkle the chopped Pecans over the Sugar mixture.
- Arrange the Peach Slices over the Nuts or the Sugar, if you are not using the Nuts.
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Sift the Flour, Baking Powder and Salt together.
- Beat the Egg Yolks and whole Egg until light, adding the Granulated Sugar gradually. (This works best if you use an electric mixer)
- Add the Sour Cream and the sifted Flour.
- Beat the Egg Whites until they are stiff and fold into the Cake Batter.
- Pour the Batter over the Peaches.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack; place a plate over the pan and invert.
- Serve with Whipped Cream or Ice Cream.
Yield: 8 Servings