PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
1/4 cup Butter 1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 cup Brown Sugar 1/8 tsp. Salt
1 No. 2 can sliced Pineapple 3 Eggs, separated
12 Maraschino Cherries, blotted dry 1 whole Egg
1 cup sifted Flour 1 cup Granulated Sugar
1/2 cup Sour Cream
- Melt the Butter in a 9 x 9” cake pan; spread the Brown Sugar evenly in the pan and arrange the Pineapple slices on the Sugar.
- Place a Maraschino Cherry in the middle of each Pineapple slice; set aside.
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Sift the Flour, Baking Powder and Salt together.
- Beat the Egg Yolks and whole Egg until light, adding the Sugar gradually. (This works best if you use an electric mixer)
- Add the Sour Cream and the sifted Flour.
- Beat the Egg Whites until they are stiff and fold into the Cake Batter.
- Pour the Batter over the Pineapple.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack; place a plate over the pan and invert.
- Serve with Whipped Cream or Ice Cream.
Yield: 8 Servings