1 cup sifted Cake Flour
¼ tsp. Salt
1 ½ Tbsps. Lemon Juice
5 Eggs, separated
1 cup Sugar
- Sift the Flour and Salt together 4 times; set aside.
- Slightly beat the Egg Yolks, then add the Lemon Juice; beat in an electric mixer until the Yolks become very thick.
- Beat the Egg Whites (with a clean wire beater) until soft peaks form; gradually add the Sugar while still beating.
- Continue beating the Egg Whites until they are stiff but not dry.
- Fold the Yolks into the Whites.
- Sift one fourth of the Flour at a time over the Egg mixture; fold in gently with a rubber spatula. Be very careful not to deflate the Eggs.
- Bake in an ungreased tube pan at 350 degrees for 30 – 40 minutes. The top should be a golden brown.
- Invert the pan and allow the cake to cool. (About one hour)
- To remove from the pan, loosen the sides first with a small straight spatula. Do the same to the bottom, if necessary. Invert and remove the cake from the pan.
YIELD: A 9” cake