CHINESE ALMOND COOKIES
1/4 cup Vegetable Shortening or Lard 1/2 cup Rice Flour
7/8 cup Granulated Sugar 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
1/4 tsp. Sesame Oil 1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 Egg 1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Almond Extract 1/4 cup chopped Almonds
- Cream together the Shortening and Sugar until they become fluffy.
- Stir in the Egg, Sesame Oil and Almond Flavoring; beat until well blended.
- Combine the Flour, Salt and Baking Powder; beat into the Shortening mixture.
- Stir in the chopped Almonds.
- Use a tablespoon to drop the Dough onto greased cookie sheets.
- Place 1 or 2 slices of Almonds on top of each Cookie.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until the Cookies are a light golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool; store tightly covered.
- Note: Chinese Almond Cookies are traditionally made with lard – their flavor profile is different than those made with butter or shortening.