Mix & Mash Oatmeal Cookies
6 cups Oatmeal
3 cups Brown Sugar
3 cups Vegetable Shortening or Margarine
3 cups Flour
1 Tbsp. Baking Soda
2 cups Raisins (optional)
- Allow the children to combine all of the above ingredients in a very large bowl on a kitchen floor covered with paper or other protective material or on the backyard patio which can be hosed down afterwards.
- The children may mash, knead and squeeze until they can no longer see any lumps of shortening.
- The children should now form small balls of dough in the palms of their hands.
- Raisins or other dried fruit can be added to the dough balls as desired.
- Butter the bottom of as many glasses as there are children. Let the children dip the bottom of the glass in granulated or brown sugar and then gently flatten each cookie ball with the glass.
- Repeat the process for each cookie.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.
Yield: 15 dozen Cookies
Note: This is a great recipe for children’s parties, scout activities or rainy day fun.
For smaller quantities of cookies divide the recipe into thirds or store part of the dough in the refrigerator for use in a day or two.
Attention! Patient Parents! Round up all the neighborhood children to participate in this fun-filled, energy releasing activity.