Pineapple-Macadamia Shortbread Cookies
½ cup Granulated Sugar 1 whole Egg, beaten
2 2/3 cups All-Purpose Flour Dried Pineapple Bits
1 cup chopped Macadamia Nuts* Coarse Sugar (Turbinadao)
½ cup unsalted Butter
- Adjust oven racks to positions 2 & 4 and preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with Silpat® sheets.
- Combine the Sugar, Flour and chopped Macadamia Nuts in a medium mixing bowl.
- Cut the Butter into pieces and rub into the Flour mixture with your fingertips until the mixture begins to blend together. (this may be done in a food processor)
- Stir in the Egg and then knead the mixture into a soft dough.
- Cover a rolling pin with a stockinette and lightly rub flour into the stockinette.
- Lightly flour the Silpat® sheets; divide the Dough in half and roll out each half on the prepared pans to approximately 3/8” thickness.
- Cut out with a square cookie cutter as closely together as possible. Each cookie should share a side with another cookie. (Do not separate the cookies until after baking – instructions below)
- Press several Pineapple Bits into each cookie and then sprinkle with the Demarara Sugar.
- Bake 45 minutes or until a pale golden color; bake 3-5 minutes longer at 375 or until the desired color is achieved.
- Cool for 5 minutes and then cut along the previously cut lines. Continue cooling until completely cool.
- Store in airtight container.
Yield – 16 Cookies
* To chop the Macadamia Nuts, use a food processor fitted with the chopping blade. Add 1-2 Tablespoons of the recipes Sugar before chopping and use the Pulse