RAISIN AND SPICE BARS
1 ¾ cups Cake Flour ¼ cup Light Brown Sugar
½ tsp. ground Ginger 1 Extra Large Egg
½ tsp. ground Cinnamon ½ cup Molasses
1 tsp. Baking Soda 3/8 cup Milk
¼ tsp. Salt 1 cup Raisins, plumped*
1½ cup unsalted Butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degree and adjust the rack to the center position.
- Spray a 9x 12 baking dish with a Vegetable Spray.
- Sift together the Flour, Spices, Soda and Salt.
- Cream the Butter together with the Sugar and Egg.
- Add the Molasses and Milk and mix well to combine.
- Stir in the Flour Mixture, being sure to combine all the dry ingredients together with the wet ingredients.
- Stir in the Raisins and transfer the mixture to the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before cutting into bars.
- If desired, spread with a thin Confectioner’s Sugar Glaze** or a Cream Cheese Frosting.
* To plumb the raisins, cover with boiling water and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Pour into a colander and drain well. If needed, blot with a paper towel before adding to the batter.
** To make a Glaze, use one cup powdered Sugar; add 1 Tbsp. melted Butter and enough warm milk to make a thin glaze. Add ½ tsp. Vanilla if desired.