BISCUIT TOPPING: FILLING:
1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour 2 lbs. Peaches
1 1/2 tsps. Baking Powder 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 tsp. Salt 2 Tbsps. Corn Starch
2 Tbsps. Granulated Sugar ½ tsp. Almond Extract
1/4 cup unsalted Butter 1 tsp. Butter
2/3 cup Buttermilk ¼ tsp. Nutmeg
1 Egg ½ tsp. Cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground Cloves
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine the Flour, Baking Powder and Salt.
- Cut the Butter into 4 pieces and place in the bowl with the Flour mixture; using a pastry blender, cut the Butter into the Flour mixture until crumbly looking.
- Combine the Buttermilk and Egg; add a little at a time to the Flour mixture; mix gently with a fork only until the mixture is completely moistened.
- Cover the Dough and set aside until the fruit mixture is prepared.
- Make a cross slit X at the top and bottom of each Peach; plunge into boiling water for about 2 minutes (longer for less ripe peaches). Remove and place in Ice Water to cool.
- Using a paring knife, remove the skin from each peach. (It should easily slip off)
- Slice the Peaches and place in a medium-size bowl.
- Combine the Brown Sugar, Cornstarch, Almond Extract, Butter and Spices; gently toss with the Peach slices.
- Place the Peaches in a casserole or deep dish pie plate; roll out the Dough to fit the top of the peaches; fit loosely over the top.
- Make slits in the crust for the steam to escape.
- Bake in an oven that has been preheated to 425 degrees for approximately 45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown; serve warm with Cream or Ice Cream.
YIELD: 6 Servings