Apple Strudel is of German and Austrian origin but is also popular in Italy and the Balkan Countries. This recipe calls for Filo Dough which is very similar to strudel dough; making strudel dough is an art which requires a large kitchen table to be able to stretch it properly
4 lbs. Golden Delicious Apples 1 lb. Filo Dough
6 Tbsps. unsalted Butter `
¾ cup Sugar
1 tsp. ground Cinnamon Melted Butter (1/4 lb.
2 tsps. finely grated Lemon Zest minimum)
2/3 cup Raisins or Currants
2/3 cup Walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Peel the Apples; cut the peeled Apples in half.
- Use a paring knife to remove the cores; cut each half into 4 or 5 wedges.
- Melt the Butter in a large Dutch Oven over medium heat.
- Add the Apples, Sugar, Cinnamon, and Lemon Zest and stir well to mix.
- When the Apples start to sizzle, cover the pan and allow the Apples to cook undisturbed for 10-15 minutes. At the end of this time, the Apples should be swimming in liquid.
- Uncover the pan, decrease the heat to medium-low and continue cooking the Apples until the liquid has almost entirely evaporated, about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Stir in the Raisins and Walnuts and spread the Apple mixture out on a large non reactive tray (glass is good) and allow to cool completely.
- To fill the strudel, thaw the dough completely and then unfold onto a cloth towel which has been set over a damp towel. Cover with a dry dish towel and then place a damp towel over the dry towel. This procedure will keep this very thin dough from drying out while you are working with it.
- Have your melted Butter ready along with a large pastry brush for brushing the Butter onto the Dough.
- On a clean large work surface, layout 2 sheets of the Filo Dough, one on top of the other; brush completely with the melted Butter. Lay two more sheets of dough on top and brush again with the melted Butter.
- Spread half the filling along the length of the dough about 3 inches from the edge; leave at least 2” at either end free. Fold the 3” piece over the filling and then fold the whole thing over until all the dough is completely wrapped around the filling. Butter the dough as you fold. Fold the corners of the edges in and under the strudel.
- Carefully transfer to a parchment covered baking sheet; repeat with the remaining filling and dough. Brush the outside of the strudel with the melted Butter.
- Bake in the middle of a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes or until the dough is baked through and crisp. It should be a dark golden brown.
Yield: 2 (10”) Strudels (About12-14 Servings)
Note: The Strudels pictured above are actually mini-portions made with just 1 sheet of phyllo Dough Each. Just place the Apples about 4 inches in from the left short end and butter, wrap and fold as for the larger version.