BASIC PIE CRUST
2 cups All-Purpose Flour Medium Mixing Bowl
2/3 c. Cold Shortening or Butter Pastry Blender
¼ tsp. Salt Measuring Equipment
6 – 8 Tbsps. Ice Water Fork
Rolling Pin & Stockinette
Pie Tin or Ceramic Pie Plate
- Measure the Flour and combine with the Salt in mixing bowl.
- Cut the Shortening into the Flour with the pastry blender until it looks like coarse cornmeal.
- Sprinkle half the Water over the Flour mixture and mix gently with a fork; continue adding Water and mixing lightly until the Flour is moistened and will just hold together. (DO NOT OVERMIX!!)
- Gather together into a ball. Cut in half; roll out on pastry board, which has been lightly sprinkled with Flour. Roll out with a stockinette covered rolling pin. Roll to fit pie plate.
- Fit loosely into pie tin and proceed according to specific pie directions.
Yield: 2 Single Crust or 1 Double Crust
Note: Custard and Cream Pies require a blind baked crust. To blind bake the crust, pike holes in the bottom of the crust with a fork and then place a piece of aluminum foil inside the crust; add some pie weights or dried beans and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the weights and foil and continue baking until the crust is a golden brown color.