1 cup Water 1/2 cup Bread Flour
1/2 cup Crisco 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt 4 Large Eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring the Water, Crisco and Salt to a full boil.
- Shut off the heat, but leave the pot on the stove and add all of the Flour at one time; stir vigorously until all the flour is absorbed and a ball of paste forms.
- Allow the Flour Mixture to cool just until the steaming stops; add 1 Egg at a time and beat vigorously after each addition to incorporate all of the Egg. (This may be done in the Food Processor or Electric Mixer)
- Shape into Cream Puffs either using a pastry bag fitted with a large (ST type tip) or form with a food scoop. The puffs may be made as large or small as you wish. A size 30 food scoop is a good size for small bite-sized puffs. The puffs should be formed on an ungreased or parchment lined pan.
- Place into preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes for mini-puffs or 40 minutes for large puffs.
- Remove from oven, cool, and then fill with Vanilla Pastry Cream /recipes/deserts/pastry-cream/. To fill the puffs, a pastry bag with a long narrow tip may be used to inject the filling from the side or bottom of the puff. You may also cut off the top, fill the puff and then return the top.
- Top with a chocolate glaze.
Note: When you cut off the top, you may want to remove some of the softer lining to
make more room for the filling. You can also put them back in the oven for a few
minutes after removing the unwanted soft portion.