FRESH BLUEBERRY PIE
Pastry for Doublecrust Pie (See /basic-pie-crust/
4 cups fresh Blueberries
2 Tbsps. Lemon Juice
½ – ¾ cup Sugar
3 Tbsps. Cornstarch
Dash of Cinnamon & ground Nutmeg (optional)
1 Egg beaten with 1 tsp. of Milk
- Roll out half the Pastry to fit an 8” or 9” pie pan; set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Lightly rinse the Berries; dry on paper towels.
- Place in a medium bowl and add the Lemon juice, Sugar, Cornstarch and spices.
- Gently turn the Berries so that they become coated with the Sugar and Cornstarch.
- Turn into the prepared Pie Crust.
- Roll out the second half of the dough to fit over the top. (If desired, a lattice top can be made instead of the solid crust) Trim the crust so that it is about ½’ larger than the pie pan.
- Fold and crimp the edges. Make slits in the top with a small sharp knife.
- Place the Pie in the lower third of the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 350 and move the pie to the center of the oven; bake 30 minutes longer.
- Brush the top crust with the beaten Egg and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake an additional 5 minutes or until the crust is a golden brown.
- If the edges start to become too dark during the baking period, cover them with strips of aluminum foil.