Lemon Meringue Pie
1 1/2 cups Sugar
3 Tbsps. Cornstarch
3 Tbsps. All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 cups Cold Water
2 Tbsps. Butter
Zest of 1 Lemon
1/3 cup Lemon Juice
1/2 recipe Basic Pie Crust
Prepare the crust according to the Basic Pie Crust Recipe. Roll out the Dough and cut circle 1/2” larger than the pie pan. Loosely fit the rolled crust into the pan.
Crimp the edges with a pie crimper or a fork. Pierce the crust with the tines of a fork. Place a sheet of foil inside the pan and fill with pie weights, bean or rice.
Bake for 10 minutes in a moderate oven (325 degrees). Remove the foil and weights and continue baking for 10 minutes longer or until the crust is a light golden color.
To prevent the crusts from being soggy follow step 5 below:
Separate the Egg Whites from the Yolks. Lightly beat the Yolks and remove 1 Tbsp. and place in a small bowl. Add 1 Tbsp. cold Water, mix and brush over the Pie Shell after the weights are removed.
Bake the Crust for 2 minutes more or until the Egg Wash is set.
In a medium saucepan combine the Sugar, Cornstarch, Flour and a dash of Salt;gradually stir in the Water.
Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly; reduce the heat, cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly.
Slowly add the Hot Mixture into the beaten Yolks, stirring constantly; return to the saucepan and bring to a gentle boil.
Cook and stir 2 minutes more; remove from the heat and stir in the Lemon Zest and Butter.
Stir in the Lemon Juice, mixing well. Pour the hot filling into the baked Pie Shell.
Top with the Meringue, being sure to seal the edges of the pie and bake 5-7 minutes in a hot oven (425 degrees) until the Meringue is lightly browned.
Yield: One 9” Pie
Meringue Topping for Pies
4 Egg Whites
1/2 tsp. Lemon Juice
6 Tbsps. Granulated Sugar
- Place Egg Whites in a large mixer bowl and allow to come to room temperature. (Be absolutely sure that there is no yolk in the Whites and that the bowl is perfectly clean!)
- Using the whisk attachment of an electric mixer or a rotary egg beater, beat the Egg Whites and Lemon Juice together until he Whites are frothy.
- Gradually add the Sugar while still beating: beat the Whites until stiff peaks are formed. (Do not over-beat or the Whites will become too dry)
- Mound on top of pies or tarts; use a spatula to spread the Meringue all the way to the pie edges to completely seal in the filling.
- Bake in a hot oven (425 degrees) until the Meringue is a light golden brown.
Yield: Enough meringue for a 9” pie or 6 tarts.