8 oz. Cream Cheese, softened 12 sheets of Phyllo Pastry, thawed
1 cup Ricotta Cheese ½ cup Butter, melted
½ cup Sugar
2 large Egg Yolks
Zest of 1 Lemon
1 (20 oz.) can crushed Pineapple ½ cup Sugar
(packed in juice)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 13 x 9” glass or Pyrex® baking dish.
- Mix together, the Cream and Ricotta Cheese, the ½ cup Sugar, Egg Yolks and Lemon Zest.
- Drain the can of Pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup of the juice.
- Stir the Pineapple into the Cheese mixture.
- On a sheet of parchment, unfold the Phyllo sheets so that they lie flat. Cover with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent the pastry from drying out.
- Place 6 Phyllo sheets in the prepared pan; brush each sheet with melted Butter.
- Spoon the filling evenly over the pastry; smooth out the top.
- Layer the remaining Phyllo sheets over the filling; brush each sheet with melted Butter.
- Fold any loose edges of the Phyllo down and butter well.
- Bake Baklava until golden (about 45 minutes); transfer pan to a wire rack to cool.
- While the Baklava is cooling, bring the 1/3 cup of Pineapple Juice to a boil;
Add the remaining ½ cup Sugar and bring back to a boil. Stir once and remove from the heat.
- Brush the Pineapple Juice Syrup over the top layer of Phyllo; cut diagonally across the pastry to form diamond shaped pieces.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: about 24 pieces.