SWEET TART AND PIE PASTRY
1-1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour 1 Egg
1/4 tsp. Salt 3 Tbsps. Ice Water
1 Tbsp. Sugar 1-1/2 tsps. Vanilla
3/8 cup (6 Tbsps.) soft Butter 1 beaten Egg Yolk
- Combine the Flour, Sugar and Salt in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Cut the Butter up into small pieces and cut into the dry ingredients using a pastry cutter or 2 knives.
- Add the Water and Vanilla to the Eggs and using a fork or your fingers, slowly work into the Flour Mixture, being careful not to overwork the dough.
- Once the dry ingredients are all moistened, gather the Dough together into a ball.
- Roll out the Dough on a floured board and cut to fit Tart Pans or Pie Tins.
- Prebake in a slow oven (325o F) for 5 min. (To prevent shrinking, place a second pan on top of each crust or use foil-filled with Pie Weights.
- Remove the pan or weights and brush the crust with beaten Egg Yolk; continue baking for another 5-10 minutes.
Yield – 6 Tart Shells or 1 – 10” Shell
Note: If the dough seems too soft to roll out, chill for 15 – 30 minutes before rolling.