DOUBLE DUTY PUMPKIN WAFFLES
3 Cups All-Purpose Flour 2 cups mashed Pumpkin**
1 Tbsp. Baking Powder 1 ½ cups Buttermilk
¾ tsp. Baking Soda 3/8 cup Sugar
1 tsp. Salt ½ cup Melted Butter
2 Tbsps. Pumpkin Pie Spice
4 Eggs, separated
- Mix together the Flour, Baking Powder, Salt and Pumpkin Pie Spice in a medium mixing bowl.
- Beat the Egg Yolks, and Sugar with a wire whisk or with an electric mixer; add the Pumpkin and Milk and mix until all the ingredients are well-blended. Stir in the melted Butter.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the Pumpkin mixture, using the low speed on the electric mixer or by hand with a wooden spoon. (Do not over mix!)
- Beat the Egg whites until stiff but not dry and gently fold into the Pumpkin mixture.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron, using about 1 cup batter per waffle. (or ½ cup per section)
- Serve with Caramelized fruit or Maple Syrup.
Yield: Approx. 10 Waffles
*This Waffle Batter may be turned into Muffins by adding 3/8 cup Brown Sugar to the Batter. Stir in 1 cup Raisins or Currants. Bake in greased Muffin Cups at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Yield Approx. 18 Muffins
**A 12 oz. can of Pumpkin will suffice for this recipe