BLACK FOREST CHERRY CAKE (Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte)
10 Eggs, separated 1 Tbsp. Cornstarch
2 whole Eggs 2 Tbsps. Water
4 tsps. Water (1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp.) ¼ cup Sugar
2 cups Sugar Dash Salt
1 Tbsp. Vanilla 2 cups Sweet Cherries, pitted
½ tsp. Almond Extract (canned Cherries may be used)
1 cup sifted Flour
½ cup sifted Cocoa
½ Black Cocoa*
SYRUP: CHANTILLY CREAM:
¼ cup Sugar 1 Qt. Heavy Cream
1 cup Cold Water ½ cup Powdered Sugar
1/3 cup Kirsch ¼ cup Kirsch
¼ tsp. Almond Extract
- Prepare 3 (9” round layer pans) by cutting wax paper rounds to fit each pan.
- Spray the pans with Baker’s Joy® and line with the paper circles.
- Set the oven racks to the 2nds and 4th positions and turn the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the Egg Whites in a large clean bowl; allow to come to room temperature.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with the wire whisk, beat the Egg Yolks with the 2 Whole Eggs and 4 tsps. Water until they are thick and light colored.
- Slowly add the Sugar while still beating; once all the Sugar has been beaten in beat in the Vanilla and Almond Extracts.
- Exchange the wire whisk for a paddle beater and sift the Flour and Cocoa over the Egg mixture.
- Stir in the Flour Mixture at low speed; once all the Flour has been stirred in, beat the Egg Whites until they are stiff.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the Whites, using an over and under motion. Once all the Whites have been folded in, divide the Batter equally between the 3 pans.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Set on cooling racks and cool for about 10-15 minutes.
- Use a straight-edge spatula to loosen the sides of the cakes if necessary and then invert onto the cooling racks.
- While the layers are cooling, prepare the Cherry Filling and Chantilly Cream.
- Combine the Sugar, Water and Kirsch in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and cook, stirring constantly until all the Sugar is dissolved.
- Add the Almond Extract and stir well.
- Combine the Cornstarch and Water and mix well to combine; set aside.
- Combine the Sugar with the Cherries in a 2 qt. saucepan and cook over medium-low heat until the Cherries release their water.
- Stir in the Cornstarch mixture and cook over medium-high heat until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat and set aside until ready to assemble the Cake.
- Place the Cream in a large mixing bowl and beat with a rotary or electric beater until soft peaks form.
- Add the Powdered Sugar and Kirsch and beat until stiff. Refrigerate until ready to use.
ASSEMBLING THE CAKE:
- Place one layer, right side up on a platter or cake board.
- Spread the cooked Cherries on top and then add a layer of Whipped Cream.
- Top with the second layer, right side up. Spread a layer of Whipped Cream on this layer also.
- Add the 3rd layer, right side up.
- Place the remaining Whipped Cream in a large pastry bag, fitted with an ST Star Tip. (a large one)
- Spread a layer of Whipped Cream on the sides of the Cake.
- Pipe Rosettes over the top of the Cake.
- Place Cherries (either leftover or Maraschino) in the center of each Rosette that lines the outer edge of the top layer.
- If desired, press shaved Chocolate onto the sides of the Cake and sprinkle over the top of the Cake.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. When serving, keep in mind that this is a very rich cake and keep the portions moderate to small.
Yield: 12 Portions
* The Black Cocoa may be replaced with regular Baking Cocoa. The Black Cocoa gives a darker appearance to the Cake, thus enhancing its name – ‘Black Forest Cake’
Note: If using canned Cherries, use the Syrup the Cherries were packed in place of the water and cook them all together at one time with the Cornstarch mixture.