2 cups Milk
1/2 Cinnamon Stick
4 Whole Eggs
1/2 cup Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- In a heavy saucepan, bring the milk to a simmer; add the Cinnamon stick and cool to body temperature.
- In a small skillet heat the Sugar over moderate heat; stir constantly until the Sugar melts and turns into a golden caramel colored syrup.
- Immediately, pour into the bottoms of 6 ramekins or custards cups; tilt the dishes to completely cover the bottoms with syrup. Allow to cool.
- Strain the Milk and discard the Cinnamon Stick.
- To make the Custard, beat the Eggs and Yolks togethr; beat in about 1/4 of the Milk.
- Gradually beat in the 1/2 cup of Sugar and continue beating until it is completely dissolved; beat in the rest of the Milk, Salt and Vanilla.
- Place a pan large enough to hold all the cups into the oven which has been preheated to 325 degrees; pour about 1 inch of hot water into the pan.
- Place the prepared dishes into the pan of hot water and fill each one with the Custard mixture.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- To serve, run a warm spatula around the sides of the ramekins and then invert onto a serving dish, allowing the caramel to run over the top and sides.
Yield: 6 Servings