CHOCOLATE BAVARIAN CREAM
1 envelope (2 tsps.) unflavored Gelatin
¼ cup Cold Water
2-inch piece Vanilla Bean*
1 cup whole Milk
3 large Egg Yolks
½ cup Sugar
2 oz. unsweetened Chocolate
1 cup Whipped Cream
- Soften the Gelatin in the Cold Water and set aside.
- Add the Vanilla Bean to the Milk and heat only until hot, stirring to prevent a skim from forming on the surface. (This may also be done in the microwave; heating time will depend on the power of your microwave oven)
- Beat the Eggs lightly in a 1 Qt. Saucepan; gradually beat in the Sugar and then add the Salt.
- Gradually add the Hot Milk, including the Vanilla Bean. Cook and stir over low heat until the Custard coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove the Vanilla Bean. (Rinse the bean and save it for another use).
- Stir in the Chocolate and continue stirring over low heat until the Chocolate is completely melted.
- Strain the Custard into a bowl and stir in the softened Gelatin. Cool the Cream by placing the bowl into a large bowl of ice water, stirring occasionally to prevent a skin from forming on top.
- Alternatively, place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the Cream and refrigerate until cool.
- Once the Custard has cooled sufficiently (cool to the touch) stir in the Whipped Cream.
- Us as a filling for Cream Puffs, Éclairs, Napoleons or Cream Pies.
*1 Tablespoon of Vanilla Extract, added at the end of the cooking process may be substituted for the Vanilla Bean.
Cream Puffs filled with Chocolate Bavarian Cream