GRILLED PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
20 oz. can sliced Pineapple 1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 small can Sweet Cherries 1/8 tsp. Salt
Demarara or Raw Sugar 3 Eggs, separated
1/4 cup Butter 1 whole Egg
½ cup Brown Sugar 1 cup Granulated Sugar
1 cup sifted Flour 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- Drain the Pineapple and Cherries; save the Pineapple Juice for later use or to drink.
- Heat a stove top griddle or a BBQ until very hot; sprinkle the Pineapple Slices with the Demarara Sugar and then place on the hot grill; grill on both sides until they begin to caramelize.
- Melt the Butter in a 9 x 9” cake pan; spread the Brown Sugar evenly in the pan and arrange the Pineapple slices on the Sugar.
- Blot the Cherries dry with a paper towel and place one in the middle of each Pineapple slice; add a Cherry between each Pineapple Slice if there is room.
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Sift the Flour, Baking Powder and Salt together.
- Beat the Egg Yolks and whole Egg until light, adding the Sugar gradually. (This works best if you use an electric mixer)
- Add the Sour Cream and the sifted Flour.
- Beat the Egg Whites until they are stiff and fold into the Cake Batter.
- Pour the Batter over the Pineapple.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack; place a plate over the pan and invert.
- Serve with Whipped Cream or Ice Cream.
Yield: 8 Servings
Grilled Pineapple Upside Down Cake