STRAWBERRY MARSHMALLOW CREAM PIE
1 cup Granulated Sugar 4 cups Vanilla Wafers
2 Tbsps. Light Corn Syrup 1/2 cup unsalted Butter, melted
2 Envelopes unflavored Gelatin
¼ cup Cold Water 1 recipe Pastry Cream** (Separate recipe)
3 large Egg Whites
1tsp. Strawberry Extract
1 ½ cups Whipping Cream
1 cup Strawberry Puree* 1 box fresh Strawberries
- Prepare the Pastry Cream and refrigerate until needed.
- Lightly butter a 9 x 9 by 2 inch square pan.
- Place the Granulated Sugar, Corn Syrup and 2/3 cup Water in a 1 ½ quart saucepan. Boil over medium-high heat until it reaches the soft-ball stage, 240 degrees on a candy thermometer. (This will take about 10 –12 minutes)
- Place the quarter cup of cold water in a small microwave dish. Sprinkle the Gelatin over the Water and allow the Gelatin to soften. Place in the microwave for about 30 seconds or until the Gelatin has completely dissolved. Keep warm until needed.
- Beat the Egg Whites in a large mixing bowl until stiff.
- Beat continuously while slowly pouring in the Hot Sugar Syrup.
- Pour the Warm Gelatin into the Beaten Egg whites. Fold in the Strawberry Extract and Puree.
- Continue to beat until the mixture is cool and stiff, 8 – 10 minutes.
- Pour the mixture immediately into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Set aside while preparing the other ingredients.
- Place the Vanilla Wafers in a food processor with the chopping blade attached and run until the Wafers are pulverized. Slowly add the melted Butter and run until all the wafer crumbs have been moistened.
- Pat the buttered crumbs into the bottom and sides of a 9 or 10” pie plate. Bake for 10 minutes in a 325 degree oven. Cool for about 10 minutes.
- Add the prepared Pastry Cream to the baked Crust.
- Clean and dry the Strawberries; remove the hulls (leaves and stems) and slice half of them lengthwise into about four pieces each. (depending on the size of the berries). Layer the sliced Berries over the Pastry Cream.
- Beat the Whipping Cream until stiff enough to hold a peak; fold the Strawberry Marshmallow into the Whipped Cream.
- Spread the Whipped Cream/Marshmallow mixture on the top of the Pastry Cream/Strawberry layer.
- Top with the remaining Berries and Chocolate Curls, if desired.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
* One box of Strawberries will yield 1 cup of Puree (To puree, run in the Food
Processor with the Chopping Blade until pureed.
Yield: 6 – 8 Portions