12 large Shrimp
1 Cup All-Purpose Flour 2 Eggs
1 cup Cornmeal 1 cup Buttermilk
2 Tbsps. Sugar 4 Tbsps. minced Parsley
4 tsps. Baking Powder Lemon Zest
½ tsp. Salt
¼ tsp. Cayenne Pepper Corn Oil for Frying
- Shell and devein the Shrimp; rinse with cold water and then blot dry with a paper towel.
- Cut the Shrimp up into about 4 pieces each; set aside.
- Stir together the Flour, Cornmeal, Sugar Baking Powder , Salt and Cayenne.
- Beat the Eggs and combine with the Buttermilk, minced Parsley and Lemon Zest.
- Add the Egg mixture to the Flour mixture and stir with a fork just until all the dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overbeat)
- Stir in the Shrimp, only to combine.
- Pour the oil into a frying pan to a depth of about 1 ½ – 2 inches; heat until a drop of batter added to it will sizzle.
- Drop the Fritter Batter into the hot oil by the tablespoon; cook until browned, then turn and cook the other side.
- Drain on paper towels or brown paper bags turned inside out.
- Keep warm in the oven until ready to serve.
- Serve with Seafood Cocktail Sauce or Tartar Sauce.
YIELD: 4- 6 Servings