SHRIMP IN COCONUT MILK (BANGKOK PRAWNS)
1 lb. raw Prawns ¼ cup fresh Basil
4 Baby Bok Choy
2 cups Coconut Milk 4 Carrots
½ cup Chicken Stock 2 Zucchini
1 – 3 tsps. Red Curry Paste*
2 Tbsps. Brown Sugar
3 Tbsps. Fish Sauce or 1 tsp. Salt Steamed Rice
- Slit the Prawns down the back and wash out the dark vein. Cut off the heads and remove the shell from the heads. Wash the heads well.
- Pour the Coconut Milk and Chicken Stock into a medium size sauté pan.
- Add the Curry Paste, Brown Sugar, Fish Sauce or Salt. Bring to simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off until ready to cook the remaining ingredients.
- Wash and dry the Vegetables; julienne the Basil and cut the Bok Choy in halves, lengthwise.
- Peel the Carrots and slice in diagonal cuts about 3/8” thick.
- Cut the ends off the Zucchini, then slice the same as the Carrots.
- Just before serving, bring the Coconut Milk mixture back to a simmer, then add the Bok Choy, Prawns, Prawn heads, Carrots and Zucchini.
- When the liquid returns to a simmer, cover and cook for 10- 15 minutes or until the Prawns are cooked. Remove the lid and turn the Prawn over, halfway through the cooking period.
- TO SERVE:
- Place a scoop of steamed Rice in each of 4 bowls. Arrange 4-5 Prawns on the Rice. Add the Vegetables and a ladle or two of the cooking liquid.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 Servings
* Available in the Asian section in the market