1 lb. Lasagna Noodles ½ lb. Brown or Shitake Mushrooms
1 large Zucchini 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 large Yellow Squash 1 Tbsp. unsalted Butter
1 small Eggplant or half of a large 2 Tbsps. Flour
Basil 2 cups Cream
Garlic ½ tsp. White Pepper
¼ cup Olive Oil Parmesan Cheese
1 tsp. Salt 1 lb. shredded Mozzarella Cheese
6 medium Tomatoes
2 Tbsps. Tomato Paste
½ cup White Wine
- Cook Noodles per package directions; drain and rinse with warm water.
- Wash and dry the Vegetables; slice the Zucchini and Yellow Squash vertically into 4 lengths and slice again into 3/8” pieces.
- Peel the Eggplant and then slice into 1/2” slices.
- Mince the Basil and Garlic and mix with the Olive Oil and Salt.
- Place the Squash and Eggplant in a shallow bowl and combine with the Basil mixture.
- Heat a stovetop grill; when it is hot, grill the marinated vegetables just until light brown grill marks appear on them. Remove to a platter.
- Clean the Mushrooms and remove the stems; slice crosswise into 1/4” slices.
- Heat the Oil and Butter in a medium saucepan; when it is hot add the sliced Mushrooms and sauté them until they begin to caramelize.
- Add the Flour; stir and cook until the flour and fat combines and begins to thicken.
- Slowly add the Cream and cook and stir until the mixture thickens; add the Pepper and stir again. Set aside.
- Dice the Tomatoes and place in a sauté pan; cook over high heat for 10 minutes and then add the Wine; continue cooking until most of the liquid is reduced. Stir in the Tomato Paste.
- Lightly oil a lasagna pan; arrange a layer of cooked pasta vertically; spread about ¼ of the Bechamel Sauce over the Pasta; sprinkle with the dried Oregano and Parmesan.
- Scatter about ¼ of the cooked vegetables over the pasta; scatter about ¼ of the Mozzarella over the vegetables.
- Next, arrange a layer of Pasta crosswise and continue adding the Bechamel, Parmesan, and Vegetables and Mozzarella. On the last layer add the cooked Tomatoes before adding the Mozzarella.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until the top layer of cheese starts to bubble and turn golden brown.
Yield: 8 Servings