CHEESY CHILI DOGGY BISCUITS
12 oz. Cocktails Hotdogs 4 Tbsps. unsalted Butter
4 Tbsps. Flour
2 cups Milk
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Dijon Mustard
½ cup (or more) Chili Sauce
1 recipe Biscuit Buns* Few Drops Tabasco (optional)
- Prepare the dough for the Buns as directed in the following recipe.
- Remove the Hot Dogs from the package and drain the liquid; blot each one dry with a paper towel.
- When the Dough is ready, lightly spray a canoe pan or a shallow baking sheet.
- Roll the Dough out to ¼” thickness and cut with 4 ½” round cookie cutters.
- Stretch each piece of dough slightly to fit into the canoe pan. If using a baking sheet, just place each piece of dough on the sprayed sheet.
- Place 2 Cocktail Dogs on each piece of Dough; bring up the sides to enclose the Dogs.
- Pinch the top and sides closed; if baking on a baking sheet, place the Dogs so that the seamed side is down.
- Cover the Dogs with a clean dish towel or plastic wrap and place in a warm spot for about 30 minutes or until the Dough starts to raise.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and bake the Dogs for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the Dogs are baking, prepare the Sauce.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the Butter and then add the Flour.
- Stir until a paste forms; slowly add the Milk while stirring
- Add the Salt and Dijon and cook until the Sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a
- Add the shredded Cheese and stir until smooth.
- Stir in the Chili Sauce and Tabasco, if desired.
- Serve with the Baked Dogs.
Yield: 15 single Portions
2 cups sifted All-Purpose Flour ½ cup Vegetable Shortening
1 Tbsp. Baking Powder 2/3 cup Milk
¾ tsp. Salt
- Mix the Flour, Salt and Baking Powder together in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Use a pastry blender to cut the Shortening into the Flour until the mixture looks like very small lumps.
- Slowly pour in the Milk and mix with a fork until the dough just hold together.
- Shape into a ball and place on a floured pastry board.
- Roll out with a rolling pin to about ¾ “thick.
- Cut into 2-inch circles with a biscuit cutter; place side by side in a greased baking pan.
- Bake in an oven that has been preheated to 450 degrees; the Biscuits are done when they are lightly browned. (About 12 – 15 minutes)
- Let cool for 5 – 10 minutes and slice in half with a bread knife.
YIELD – 12 Biscuits
*Alternatively you can use canned refrigerated Biscuits