ITALIAN TOMATO BASIL SOUP
2 Tbsps. Olive Oil 2 tsps. Salt
1/2 cup diced Onion 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
2 lbs. Roma Tomatoes*, chopped 1 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 cup firmly packed fresh Basil Leaves
1/2 cup Chicken Broth Tiny Meat Balls
- Heat the Oil in a 4 Qt. Saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the Onions and cook over medium heat until soft. (About 7 minutes)
- Add the Tomatoes and half the Basil; cook, stirring often, until the Tomatoes mash easily. (About 10 – 15 minutes)
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor along with the Chicken Broth.
- Run until smoothly pureed; season with the Salt and Pepper and Balsamic Vinegar.
- Add the Meatballs and reheat to serving temperature.
- Sliver the remaining Basil and add to each individual serving as a garnish.
- The soup may also be chilled and served cold or at room temperature without the Meatballs.
* Canned Roma Tomatoes may be used in place of the fresh ones.
For an added kick try adding your favorite style of ‘Old Boney Mountain Hot Sauce‘