MUSHROOM AND POTATO SOUP
1 ½ lbs. fresh Mushrooms ¼ cup chopped Scallions
1 cup finely chopped Onion 2 Tbsps. chopped fresh Parsley
6 Tbsps. Butter 1 cup Sour Cream
6 small White Rose Potatoes 1 Tbsp. minced fresh Dill
6 cups Chicken Stock Freshly ground Black Pepper
1 tsp. Salt
¼ cup chopped Celery
- Wipe the Mushrooms with a damp paper towel; trim the stems and slice the whole Mushroom into ¼” slices.
- In a heavy large saucepan or Dutch Oven, heat 4 Tbsps. of the Butter over moderate heat. When the foam begins to subside add the Mushrooms and Onions and stir until they are evenly coated with the Butter.
- Reduce the heat to low, partially cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the Mushrooms are simmering, peel and slice the Potatoes into ¼” slices.
- Stir the Chicken Stock Potato Slices and Salt into the Mushroom mixture; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover partially, and simmer for about 25 minutes longer, or until the potato slices are tender but still hold their shape.
- While the Soup is simmering, melt the remaining 2 Tbsps. Butter in a 10” skillet. When the foam begins to subside, add the Celery, Scallions and Parsley and, stirring frequently, cook uncovered over low heat for about 15 minutes or until the Celery is tender but not brown.
- In a small bowl, combine the Sour Cream with about ½ cup of the simmering Mushroom Soup Stock (liquid portion only) and mix well.
- Stirring constantly, gradually pour the Sour Cream mixture into the skillet and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add the entire contents of the skillet to the Mushroom Soup and stir together gently but thoroughly.
- Taste for Seasoning and add more Salt and Pepper if necessary.
- Garnish each serving with the chopped Dill and a few grinds of fresh Black Pepper.
- Serve hot.
Yield: 10 Servings