CHEESY BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
2 lbs. fresh Broccoli Florets 1/4 cup Butter
1/2 cup minced Shallots
1/2 cup Bread Crumbs 1/4 cup Flour
2 Tbsps. Melted Butter 2 cups Half and Half or Milk
2 Tbsps. shredded Parmesan 8 oz. shredded Cheddar
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp. Salt
2 Tbsps. minced fresh Basil* 1/2 tsp. ground White Pepper
- Wash and separate the Broccoli into Florets; cut any large florets into 4 smaller pieces. Set aside.
- Combine the Bread Crumbs and Parmesan in a small bowl; gradually add the melted Butter mix gently with a fork. * If desired, stir in the minced Basil and then set aside.
- In a 2 Qt. Saucepan, melt the Butter and sauté the Shallots until they are limp and become translucent.
- Stir in the Flour and cook until a paste forms.
- Slowly stir in the Half and Half and cook, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens.
- Add the shredded Cheddar Cheese and stir constantly until the Cheese melts and the Sauce is smooth.
- Add the Worcestershire, Salt and Pepper; taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Add the prepared Broccoli to the Sauce and pour into a Buttered 2 Qt. Casserole dish.
- Top with the Bread Crumb Mixture and bake in a 350 degree for 20-30 minutes or until the dish is hot and bubbly.
- Serve hot.
Yield: 6- 8 Servings
As an alternative to the bread crumbs, French Fried Onions may be put on top.
To add some texture variation, combine the Broccoli Florets with 1/2 cup minced Water Chestnuts.