4 cups fresh or frozen Cherries, 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
pitted 2 Tbsps. Sugar
½ cup granulated Sugar ¼ tsp. Baking Soda
1Tbsp. quick-cooking Tapioca ¼ tsp. Baking Powder
1/3 cup Water ¼ cup Butter
1 Tbsp. Butter 1 slightly beaten Egg
3/8 cup Buttermilk
- In a medium saucepan, combine the Cherries, Sugar, Tapioca and the Water.
- Stir to combine and then let sit for 5 minutes.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook until the mixture thickens slightly. (About 5 minutes)
- Add the 1 Tbsp. Butter and stir to melt.
- Transfer the Cherries to an 8 x 1 ½ “ round or square baking dish.
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and then preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine the Flour, Sugar, Baking Soda & Baking Powder.
- Cut the Butter up into small pieces and then rub into the Flour mixture or use a pastry blender to cut the Butter in. (The resulting mixture should look like coarse cornmeal)
- Combine the Egg and Buttermilk and add to the Flour mixture all at one time; mix just until the Flour is moistened. (Do not over-mix)
- Using a large spoon to add dollops of the Topping Mixture to the top of the Fruit. You should have about 8 spoonfuls in all.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the topping is golden brown; serve warm with Ice Cream or Heavy Cream.
Yield: 6 Servings