GINGERBREAD HOUSE DOUGH
5 cups All-Purpose Flour 1 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
1 tsp. Baking Soda 1 Tbsp. Ground Ginger
1 tsp. Salt 1 cup Shortening
½ tsp. Allspice 1 cup Granulated Sugar
1 tsp. Cloves 1 cup Molasses
- Combine the Flour, Soda, Salt and Spices
- In a large saucepan, combine the Shortening and Molasses.
- Heat and stir over medium heat until the mixture starts boiling; stir in the Sugar to dissolve and bring back to a boil. (Do not allow to burn)
- Remove from heat and add the Flour Mixture all at one time and mix
well. (A heavy-duty electric mixer fitted with a paddle beater may be used)
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions; shape each portion into a rectangle and allow to cool for 3-5 minutes.
- Please each piece of dough on a greased cookie sheet; (place a damp towel underneath the baking sheet to prevent sliding) and with your hands, flatten each piece of dough.
- Roll the Dough with a rolling pin to ¼” thickness.
- Cut the Gingerbread House from your prepared patterns. (See my post for baking and building a Gingerbread House)