As the Buckle bakes, the batter rises up over the berries and covers them. This recipe is from the Pacific Coast.
¼ cup Butter ¼ cup Sugar
½ cup Sugar 2 Tbsps. Flour
1 Egg ½ tsp. Cinnamon
1 cup All-Purpose Flour 2 Tbsps. Butter
1 ½ tsps. Baking Powder
¼ tsp. Salt
1/3 cup Milk
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 Pint Blackberries*
- Set the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9 x9” baking dish with Baker’s Joy ® or Butter and Flour it.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, cream the Butter and Sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the Egg and beat well.
- Sift the Flour, Baking Powder and Salt together; combine the Milk and Vanilla.
- Add the liquid and dry ingredients alternately to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Pour the Batter into the prepared pan and cover with the Blackberries. (If the berries are very large, cut them in half)
- In a small bowl, combine the Sugar, Flour and Cinnamon; use a pastry blender to cut in the Butter.
- Evenly sprinkle the topping over the Blackberries.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Serve warm with Whipped Cream or Ice Cream.
Yield: 6 Servings
* Blackberries are fragile, so use them within a day or so of picking; discard any
moldy ones. Other berries such as raspberries or blueberries may also be used.