4 cups fresh or frozen Sour Cherries, pitted
3/4 cup granulated Sugar
1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
1Tbsp. quick-cooking Tapioca
1/3 cup Water
1/4 tsp. Almond Extract
1 Tbsp. Butter
1 cup All-Purpose Flour
2 Tbsps. Sugar
¼ tsp. Baking Soda
¼ tsp. Baking Powder
¼ cup Butter
1 slightly beaten Egg
3/8 cup Buttermilk
- In a medium saucepan, combine the Cherries, Sugar, Tapioca and the Water.
- Stir to combine and then let sit for 5 minutes.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook until the mixture thickens slightly. (About 5 minutes)
- Add the Almond Extract and 1 Tbsp. Butter; stir to dissolve.
- Transfer the Cherries to an 8 x 1 ½ “ round baking dish.
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and then preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine the Flour, Sugar, Baking Soda & Powder.
- Cut the Butter up into small pieces and then rub into the Flour mixture or use a pastry blender to cut the Butter in. (The resulting mixture should look like coarse cornmeal)
- Combine the Egg and Buttermilk and add to the Flour mixture all at one time; mix just until the Flour is moistened. (Do not overmix)
5. Using a large spoon add dollops of the Topping Mixture to the top of the Fruit. You should have about 8 spoonfuls in all.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until the topping is golden brown; serve warm with Ice Cream or Heavy Cream.
Note: If you are using Sweet Cherries, reduce the Sugar to 1/4 cup and increase the Lemon Juice to 1 1/2 Tbsps.
Yield: 6 Servings